Fedora Extras packaging beta software into production repos, why?

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Nov 28 21:56:08 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-10-28 at 15:53 -0700, Christopher Stone wrote:
> I *think* the point he is trying to make is that some people don't
> like 3rd party repositories overriding Fedora Extras without good
> reason and some other people dont like Fedora Extras maintainers
> adding packages in Fedora Extras without first consulting with the 3rd
> party repositories.
>
> Which goes back to my original idea of having an official Fedora wiki
> page that lists 3rd party repositories.  Fedora Extras maintainers
> could then check this wiki page to find out which repositories might
> already have a package available for the package they want to submit.

I don't really understand. Whenever I want a package to be available, I
make sure it gets into Core or Extras? Why would I look elsewhere,
except in the special case of something that goes in Livna?

I'm no more interested in packages from outside Core/Extras/Livna than I
am in installing Debian packages with Alien. Why is it interesting?

--
dwmw2