pacakge classification and selection (was Re: New Comps Groups)

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Wed Nov 29 05:34:33 UTC 2006

> Ideally, I'd get information like screenshots, user ratings, reviews,
> descriptions of specific features. But that's all the information I have.
> So I sit there confused, pick one at random, or install them all. I
> then hop on my handy dandy Fedora forum somewhere, and ask why one of them
> doesn't work for me, and someone says:
>
> So, in short, I think the comps push, while fitting in our current
> infrastructure, isn't really solving the *right* problem. We need a
> better interface... something like Amazon or freshmeat or <insert
> handwaving>.

I think you're talking about Click-N-Run. Check it out:

http://www.linspire.com/lindows_products_categories.php

We could easily do something similar to CNR if we had the yum install
list thing I proposed during the Great ESR FC5 Release Flamewar of 2006.
(3-28-2006 NEVER FORGET)

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.devel/37254

The Extras Games SIG has a games list on the wiki, about half of which
link to a dedicated page with screenshots and install instructions. This
is a good start:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Games