New Comps Groups

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 23:59:24 UTC 2006

> On Tuesday 28 November 2006 14:31, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > The point is, people can classify properly packages, and apps choose to
> > show more or less groups depending on the target audience.
> >
> > For example repoview will typically show all groups, anaconda the most
> > important ones, yum something in between
>
> But your hiding the package so NO tool will see it.  What is the point there?

That's not true.  If it's in the xml file, the tools see it.  The tool
then decides whether to show it to the user.

Just because anaconda decides not to use the information based on the
hidden-property doesn't prevent yumex, apt, smart, or another package
manager from using the classification to show the packages in a category
view.

If we are making the RPM Group field optional in the spec file, then we
have to allow equivalent information to be stored and retrieved from
somewhere.  In the Packaging Meeting, this somewhere was comps.  If
comps is not the place for it then we have a bit of a problem.

-Toshio