UML Generating tool ?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Nov 30 18:40:35 UTC 2006

Linus Walleij <triad at ...> writes:
> I always use Dia for creating UML charts. That's one of the real good Dia
> features.

However, Dia is a generic diagram program and doesn't offer all the
UML-specific features Umbrello offers, such as code generation and parsing
(reverse-engineering a diagram from some code). I also believe Umbrello
supports a bigger subset of UML. On the other hand, Dia is more flexible, e.g.
you can get away with mixing in non-standard notations (whether that's a good
thing or not depends on what the UML is being used for ;-) ) or simply drawing
standard-compliant notations outside the supported subset of UML (neither Dia
nor Umbrello support all of UML) by hand. But that flexibility also means you
have to draw some stuff by hand which Umbrello figures out automatically for
you.

        Kevin Kofler