uml generating tool

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Nov 30 18:58:07 UTC 2006

Amit Dey <eamitdey at ...> writes:
> Well Parag...I undertand that Ubmrello is an UML Modelling tool. But is a KDE
based application.

> How about if I make something for GNOME. Would that be useful ?

No. You can use Umbrello just fine under GNOME, apps from any X11-based desktop
work on any other. Sure, you have to install kdesdk and its dependencies, but
disk space is cheap.

It would be much more productive to work on common widget themes. For example,
if you're a GNOME developer, start by doing a Plastik-like theme for GNOME -
Clearlooks is a good starting point, but there are noticeable differences, so a
theme based on the Clearlooks engine modified to match the Plastik look would
be great. Similarly, a Clearlooks-like theme for Qt/KDE 3 would also be useful
(Qt 4 has one already: Cleanlooks). Right now, Bluecurve is pretty much the
only option for a consistent theme, and AFAIK it doesn't have a Qt 4 port
available as of now (only GTK+/GNOME 2 and Qt/KDE 3, and a GTK+ 1 version
showing GTK+ 1's limitations). It would be great to have more. With a common
widget theme, you might not even _notice_ anymore whether the apps you use are
GNOME or KDE apps, so there's no need to reinvent applications.

(And yes, I'm still using Bluecurve throughout. IMHO, consistency is more
important than looking "cool" or "modern". The big problem with all those new
themes is that they're all developed with a single toolkit/desktop in mind, so
each time they leave behind both the other big desktop and all the apps which
use non-mainstream or legacy toolkits. There are still several toolkits around
supporting only Motif-style look!)

        Kevin Kofler