New comps group proposal: audio-production

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Thu Oct 5 07:33:20 UTC 2006

Anthony Green wrote:

> I'd like to propose a new group for these new apps...
>
>     <id>audio-production</id>
>     <_name>Audio Production</_name>
>     <_description>This is a collection of applications and plugins
> geared towards audio production and includes audio recorders, MIDI
> sequencers and software synthesizers.</_description>

I use Linux for audio and music production (I was also one of the people
who nagged Fernando to move PlanetCCRMA to Extras).

I think the Audio Production group makes a lot of sense from my
perspective. I don't need the whole Sound And Video enchilada, but I
usually end up pulling all music- and sound-related apps when I install
a new system - essentially, the entire gang of apps that migrated from
CCRMA to Extras.
I believe this is a typical case for people in my situation. I need
JACK, of course, but then I need qjackctl. I also need a sequencer,
hence I will install Rosegarden or Muse - and also Seq24 for loop-based
sequencing. And of course a soft synth is also required so I end up
installing ZynAddSubFX. And so on, you get the idea.

It would be much easier to just do a group install. Much less painful.

Please don't forget to include LADSPA and all its plugins in this group.
It's probably best to run this idea on the Fedora Music list, to make
sure no application is forgotten.

A while ago, I proposed on Fedora Music to change the names of the
LADSPA plugins packages to a more consistent format, such as
ladspa-<plugin_name> or something like that, but so far nothing has
happened.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/