Soon to be marked dead packages

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Sat Oct 7 07:54:52 UTC 2006

Christopher Aillon wrote:

>> DJ> If they still compile, perhaps we can automate building some of
>> DJ> them until a maintainer steps up ?
>>
>> They need actual maintainers, not just some automated rebuilds.  What
>> happens if there's a security problem or a decision needs to be made
>> about updates?
>
> The same thing that happens if I say I'll maintain them today, rebuild
> them, and then the day that FC6 is released, say I don't want them anymore.

The orphan removal policy was created because the Fedora Project must
sustainably grow in a responsible way.  If maintainers are unwilling to
maintain packages, the responsible thing to do is to declare the
packages orphaned and move on.

If a maintainer with a bad attitude did as you described, that would be
a breach of responsibility.  The organization may decide to take
measures to either enforce responsibility or revoke access in the event
of willful non-compliance with project policies and processes.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com