Claiming ownership of mantis

Gianluca Sforna giallu at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 21:45:46 UTC 2006

On 10/7/06, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs at math.uh.edu> wrote:

> The big question is how to fix the older versions or whether it's
> possible to seamlessly upgrade them to something more recent.

Backporting fixes is always possible, of course at an higher cost
(Enterprise Linux exists for a reason...) so I am not in a position
where I can guarantee such a level of service.

Another (slightly cheaper) option would be to update all versions, but
that implies:

1. deploy and test an automated update method in the rpm transaction
2. test the resulting stuff on various older installations

Now, I could (hardly) find the time to do 1 ( which would be a nice
feature ), but for sure I can't do 2, both because I haven't anymore
FC3 and FC4 machines _and_ I haven't anymore mantis databases with the
older schemas (not counting again the time needed for such tests)

If there are here any mantis users on older (AKA legacy) distros,
maybe we can arrange a test grid with them but, again, that's going to
be a fairly big work

Anyway ( sorry for being clueless ) why should we worry about legacy
distros, instead of leaving that to something like an "Extras Legacy"
SIG?

Any suggestion on how to handle the situation will be greatly appreciated

G.