Soon to be marked dead packages

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 05:57:09 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 23:38 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> CA> The same thing that happens if I say I'll maintain them today,
> CA> rebuild them, and then the day that FC6 is released, say I don't
> CA> want them anymore.

If this happened with some regularity, the contributor would probably
get a warning and then be de-sponsored.  Maintaining packages is about
*maintaining*.  It means being responsible for them.  It means being
available to take care of bugs, issue updates, and liaison with
upstream.  If you don't have the time to do this responsibly then you
shouldn't be pretending you can maintain the package.

> So we should just give up and not bother trying to get unmaintained
> things out of the distro?  Or do you instead have something
> constructive to offer?

I second this.  Give us ideas so we can work out something that serves
everyone's needs better.

-Toshio