Last warning don't modify my packages!!!

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Thu Oct 12 20:15:16 UTC 2006

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:46:05 -0500 (CDT), Jima wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Frank Büttner wrote:
> > For the other Bugs I get mails. But that is not the topic.
> > The topic is that every body modify packages of other. And that is an
> > very big problem. When that goes forward then it will impossible for
> > maintainers to maintain it packages, because the packages will be every
> > time out of sync:(
>
>   If you don't want people touching your packages, then you need to see and
> respond to bugs filed against them.  (Yes, I periodically check Bugzilla
> for bugs filed against me, regardless of the fact that email notification
> should bring them to my attention.)  If there hadn't been a bug filed
> already, then I might be prone to agree with you.  Alas, there was, and
> most people I've heard from agreed with Rex's actions.  If you don't care
> for the cooperative nature of open source software, then I'm not sure what
> to tell you -- most of us are willing to play well with others.

However, reformatting of spec files and regrouping BRs is not nice:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-commits/2006-October/msg01273.html

This has happened here and maybe has given a false impression, since this
can result in more CVS conflicts than necessary.

If there's something easy to fix and the packager seems unavailable (after
several contact attempts), it is a demonstration of sense of
responsibility if a fellow project member applies the fix.

Still, that's no excuse for modifying more details than necessary.