Last warning don't modify my packages!!!

Brandon Holbrook fedora at theholbrooks.org
Fri Oct 13 15:03:52 UTC 2006

Christopher Stone wrote:
> On 10/12/06, Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> I am seriously tempted to just modify Frank's package so he will quit
> Fedora.  Perhaps we will be better off.  LOL! ;-)
I'm sure there are plenty of others (including myself) who had the same
thought.  Thorsten's written a few times lately about his ideal of
getting rid of this kind of attitude from package maintainers and I
completely agree.  As a relatively new member, I can attest that this
foreboding 'others-need-not-apply' attitude discourages involvement and
more importantly the spirit of a community.  I'd much rather see
maintainers take the attitude that many have expressed in this thread:
"if you need to change something of mine, feel free"

Granted, package maintainers (usually) went to all the work of getting
their package up-to-snuff for approval and continually monitor
upstream's mailing lists and announcements to stay current, and the
feeling of ownership and pride is what keeps most of us interested in
software in the first place.  But keep in mind, this is all Open Source
Software, and more than that this is Fedora, whose sole existence is
based around _community_ involvement, not individuals who happen to be
in the same CVS repository.