Important - unorphaning packages properly

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Fri Oct 13 02:03:00 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 21:09 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> People,
>
> When unorphaning packages, PLEASE take the time to do it correctly.
>
> You're expected to update Extras/OrphanedPackages in Wiki (remove the
> package from the list of orphaned), and owners.list in CVS (make
> yourself as the initial owner of the package).  Read the documentation
> in Extras/OrphanedPackages in Wiki and ask questions if unsure.
>
> Yes, TWO places.  Yes, the need to update two places sucks (but people
> are already working on a package database which should make things
> easier in the future).  All too often, people just don't bother to
> update either!
>
> If updating two things sucks for you, let me assure that doing tracking
> the omissions plus taking care of the two updates on your and many
> others behalf is more than "sucks", it's a royal PITA for someone else
> to take care of.

Feel like documenting this process in the wiki, say

HowToUnOrphanPackages

:)

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway || Red Hat || Fedora || Aurora || GPG ID: 93054260

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We must remember always
that accusation is not proof and that conviction depends upon evidence
and due process of law. We will not walk in fear, one of another. We
will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in
our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended
from fearful men -- not from men who feared to write, to speak, to
associate and to defend causes that were, for the moment, unpopular."
-- Edward R. Murrow, March 9, 1954