Co-maintainers to assist upstreams with their packages in Extras

Rick L Vinyard Jr rvinyard at cs.nmsu.edu
Mon Oct 16 04:43:33 UTC 2006

Linus Walleij wrote:
> I'm happily upstream and maintainer for three packages, libnjb, libmtp
> and gnomad2.
>
> Being part of Fedora has increased quality of all three projects,
> perhaps not much but to some extent. The package review process brings
> up many issues, and I have the privilege to avoid patching and sending
> patches upstream, instead I just FixIt(TM) and release a new version.
>
> When releasing upstream, the fact that the tarball also survives the
> build server environment is a good acceptance test that ensures
> release quality.
>
> Being both upstream and contributor is quite unproblematic, always
> was. And it's not much work at all, once you get into it.
>
> Linus

I'll second that. I'm upstream on bit, bitgtkmm, conexus, conexusmm and
papyrus. Because I needed cairomm to support papyrus, I packaged it as
well. To support another project, clipsmm, I packaged clips. Because I
use Fedora as my development platform I also packaged tetex-IEEEtran and
adopted (adopted in a way) nqc.

I too gained alot of insight on the distribution of the packages (thanks
Ralf Corsepius, Michael Schwendt, Paul Johnson, Gérard Milmeister, Jason
Tibbitts and everyone else that provided feedback).

I think being a part of Fedora Extras has made my upstream packages
better, and I think that the Fedora community should encourage, rather
that discourage, participation by upstream authors as long as said
upstream author's packages meet Fedora standards.

---

Rick L. Vinyard, Jr.