How to do Graphics Programming

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sat Oct 21 09:51:56 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 19:20 -0700, Amit Dey wrote:
> But I would prefer to do opengl programming based on the libraries
> already provided with fedora core 5. can anyone giveme links about how
> to start opengl programming with only opengl library ( I mean no mesa,
> no glut ).

Kind of off topic for this list, but the OpenGL API does not cover
window management, you *have* to use some other API to get a window
open. Either raw Xlib/GLX, or SDL or a toolkit like GTK/
QT/FLTK/wxWidgets. If you're looking to just do some game-style 3D, SDL
is your best bet. Otherwise, if you need some GUI around it look into a
toolkit. Raw Xlib/GLX is... unnecessary. (GLUT is rather archaic and
unmaintained, SDL is a much better and maintained alternative.)