Initial Proposal for doing Enterprise Extras

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Oct 23 15:45:01 UTC 2006

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 11:01:36AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 05:13:12PM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > Sure.. however for Enterprise stuff... there are different
> > expectations for what is wanted than the latest and greatest. I was
> > trying to get some discussion before people start having to fix the
> > engines after the airplane is in the air..
>
> I agree that it's essential to stop the free-for-all package churn that
> Extras goes through. It's pretty impressive, but an enterprise extras can't
> have 100+ packages updating every week.

I don't think that there are so much updates on a given installation.
There are many specialized packages in extras, and there is no reason that
100 updates in extras should translate to 100 updates on a real setup.

I agree that for enterprise stuff update should be avoided, but as more and
more packages enter fedora extras, there will be more and more updates for
fedora extras as a whole which don't mean more and more updates for the
users. In the long term there will be many updates even if it is only
to track serious bugs or very needed functionalities.

--
Pat