Fedora Extras packaging beta software into production repos, why?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Oct 25 10:56:27 UTC 2006

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 12:36:23PM +0200, Matthias Saou wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote :
>
> > Sorry, but I miss the humor in this, and I'm busy fixing broken stuff
> > to get further into this.
>
> Well, don't think just about the present, think about the long term :
> You'll also be getting annoying reports about overriding Extras
> packages regarding libpri, zaptel and asterisk, and the usual bad
> publicity that accompanies it :-(
> We'd be all much better off if it can be avoided!
>
> To avoid this you could have submitted your packages for Extras
> inclusion, but it's too late now. What you can do is :

When I offered it was said that zaptel is dead-before-review and
the rest due to being dependent as well.

> 1) Try to pause the asterisk inclusion into Extras until further
>    discussion happens (i.e. someone answers the "Why a beta?")

No, I'm not going to battle this, and there is no way to "pause" this,
after someone's "go" it's was blitz-reviewed and pushed into the repo
in lightning speed - I wish my FE packages would slide in like that.

There is no mechanism anymore to fix any of this short of the ugly
introduction of epochs. I hate epochs and even more so being forced to
use them.

> 2) Try to have asterisk and its dependencies not released for FC5

Matthias, if it were not *already* released into FC5 and FC6 the bug
would not had shown up!

> I understand why you're unhappy, but I'm just trying to point out that
> you need to understand that the small "Red Hat Linux" ecosystem has now
> evolved in a much more complex "Fedora Core + Fedora Extras" one,

Exactly and with size comes responsibility. Stamping over existing
infrastucture is an unhealthy ecosystem.

> think "Extras for RHEL" which has been mentioned a few times
> already, for which I really encourage you to get involved ASAP

I am even on a non-public list from very early on this matter, so be
assured I'm pushing this as well.

But it can't be all one-sided. It can't be that (again) the burden
lies outside of FE. I've been trying to support FE in the last year as
well as I can, and instead of getting the projects closer or some
positive feedback I get more breakage and what is funny even more
alienation from Joe Random. I'm quite burned out (once again), and
need to cater for ATrpms first.

Just as as side-note: There is even a paragraph in some of our
guidelines of trying to be compatible in some choices with other
distributions like SuSE and Debian. But the own 3rd-party repos are
ignored. The revolution eats its children.

Anyway, too much talk once again.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net