Fedora Extras packaging beta software into production repos, why?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Oct 25 16:08:51 UTC 2006

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 12:02:40PM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 October 2006 11:36, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > But at some point rawhide (or the equivalent FE devel repo) becomes a
> > release independent of whether the package being validated in there is
> > ready for production or not. There is no way to say "Hey my package
> > isn't ready for FC6, yet, I thought I was safe in the development
> > repo".
>
> That's why you assume that every package will be published.  We do it in Core,
> we should do it in Extras.  If you're so concerned, drive the QA project to
> include Extras, do freezes in development land of Extras and actually DO a
> release, rather than the rolling stuff that happens now.  Don't want Extras
> to be a second class citizen, do something about it.

But I am (by asking for example for a testing stage repo and for
conservative builds in FE and no beta/pre/cvs/svn dumps). FWIW I also
agree about trying to move the release model closer to FC's, and this
is probably inevitable in the long term anyway when FC and FE will
converge further.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net