Desktop-file-utils 0.11 change

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Oct 26 14:41:58 UTC 2006

On Thursday 26 October 2006 10:26, Matthias Saou wrote:
> > On the other hand, I'm not aware of any
> > benefits from adding X-Fedora to every desktop file...
>
> This has always seemed like a useless fedora.us leftover to me.

I thought it was used in how the Gnome menus are actually setup in Fedora, but
upon closer look (and discussing with our desktop folks) X-Fedora is 100%
useless.

--vendor fedora is only there because a --vendor is required by
desktop-file-utils, but I hear word that we're going to fix that, as the
vendor tag isn't used by anything either.

So in this case, I think we need to remove the suggestion of at least X-Fedora
from the Guidelines.  Any future package should not use it, and existing
packages can remove it at will.  I'll send this through the packaging
committee for an email vote.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora