Fedora Extras packaging beta software into production repos, why?

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Mon Oct 30 14:38:47 UTC 2006

Horst H. von Brand wrote:
> Denis Leroy <denis at poolshark.org> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> And on the subject of a wiki page with available 3rd party
>> repositories, it certainly should only contain repos that are
>> *designed* to be add-on repos over FC and FE, in that order.
>
> If they are listed officially as "compatible with Fedora", what makes them
> "less official" than Extras? Better fold the packages into Extras, and be
> done with it. Unless they ship packages that Fedora can't/won't ship... in
> which case Fedora could end up in legal hot water for telling people how to
> break the law/go against the licenses (or at least end up in a very
> unconfortable position wrt its own guidelines).

I think there's a little bit of taboo and FUD going on here. If you
explain the issues at hand clearly (scope of software patents, open vs
close source, etc...), I don't see why mentioning 3rd-party repos should
be problematic. I mean, those repos don't distribute illegal copyrighted
  movies or something :-)