Yet another license question

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Oct 3 22:20:46 UTC 2006

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:

> I'll ask the FSF, and we'll go from their recommendation.

Seeing that RMS himself confirmed "approving" the license of
Dansguardian for the FSF two weeks ago, that won't do you much good
in determining the true meaning of the license.

I would have packaged dansguardian if it wasn't for the misleading
barrage of weirdo disclaimers:

	Before downloading, please read the copyright for DansGuardian
	2. DansGuardian is not free for commercial use. DansGuardian may not
	be used by Military governments such as SPDC in Myanmar (formally known
	as Burma).

and

	For all non-commercial use DansGuardian 2 can be downloaded under the GPL.

That after careful reading means "GPL but a strict AUP exists for downloading
from my server and official mirrors". So it is free (and debian includes it),
but I'm not willing to support weirdo subjective AUP's for the official download
site. (eg: I am blocked from downloading the source twice from his server if
I sell it once or if I ever do a contract for the burmese government, despite the
software being GPL)

http://dansguardian.org/?page=download
http://dansguardian.org/?page=copyright2

Paul