rpmforge and {enterprise, } Extras (Was Re: Initial Proposal for doing Enterprise Extras=

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Oct 4 19:43:19 UTC 2006

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> JW> That is a perfectly valid example. I know of folks running
> JW> mission- critical RHEL3 (or older) servers that they'd like to add
> JW> something modern, like an up-to-date subversion server to...
>
> It's not as if it's difficult to build fresh packages for whatever
> distro you have, as long as prerequisites don't require you to rebuild
> half of the distro.
>
> And for everyone who would like an updated subversion, there's someone
> else who would like an updated apache, or an updated openssh.  And I'd
> bet that those who want one package to be updated would really not
> want everything else to be updated as well.  After all, they're still
> using RHEL Vancient for a reason.

Exactly my point ! That's why the dependency resolver should be able to
following the end-user's policy.

 - Do not upgrade base packages (ie. packages from this or that repository)
 - Do not upgrade this package to a newer version (or to a newer version+release)
 - Do not upgrade to a package from another repository than the one installed
 - ...

These are all valid policies, and these policies can be different per
package. Something like this is important, because you may want to
serve a stable subversion repository. But on another server you require
the latest subversion client, or maybe not the latest but specifically
version 1.2.1.

That's why creating more than one repository is not going to be of any
help. We need a better Yum, better pinning in Apt. Smart is almost ok as
it is :)

I've made this case many times. The taolinux developer made a baseprotect
patch almost 2 years ago. Seth didn't see a need and there were probably
more pressing needs anyway. Now the CentOS people are improving a similar
plugin for Yum. Discussions can be seen on the CentOS mailinglists.

'One repository rules them all' is something that was nice to promote when
Fedora Extras was taking off. But it's a far cry from reality and
diversity/development has been hurt by it.

Kind regards,