Dear Fesco: Orphan package process needs work

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Thu Oct 5 20:06:13 UTC 2006

Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 14:58 -0400, Christopher Aillon wrote:
>
>> If a package doesn't get a fair chance to be picked up before dropped,
>> I'd say that's broken.
>
> While dropping [0] may be a bit rough, personally I think it worked well
> as a trigger for someone to actually step up in the NetworkManager-vpnc
> case.

We had people ready to step up beforehand.  I had volunteered, and
perhaps others.  But david said he had it, so it was left alone.

> [0] Even when defined and occurred as "removing only the rpm files from
> the development repository according to the plan announced well
> beforehand and separately warned about several times on two lists before
> it actually took place".

There was fair warning, but nothing anyone can do if the owner is
holding a package hostage.  David, the owner, said he would do it, and
didn't.  And then it was dropped.  That's broken.