Dear Fesco: Orphan package process needs work

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Sat Oct 7 03:53:53 UTC 2006

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> All if would have taken to avoid this issue was a note saying "I'm
> really busy right now; someone please rebuild my packages and if you
> like add yourself as a co-maintainer."  Problem solved.  This happens
> all the time.  We even have SIGs which act as virtual co-maintainers.

The problem was the maintainer said "I will personally take care of my
package" and then didn't, effectively taking it hostage.  At some point
after he said he'd rebuild it, it was determined to simply drop it
without giving it a fair chance to be reclaimed.

Nothing against david, I'm good friends with him, but the issue is just
simply before a package gets dropped, people need a chance to reclaim
it.  That did not happen.  The process seems great for when the package
maintainer says "no i don't want to deal with this" anymore, but it
seems to fall down when they say "I'm still here" but then aren't.