Soon to be marked dead packages

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Mon Oct 9 16:45:40 UTC 2006

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006, Christopher Aillon wrote:
> Lean to leaving package in if:
> - Package is popular

  Good luck figuring this out.  I'm not aware of any way to determine this.
I realize Debian has popcon (popularity contest), which can at least give
a general idea of a package's user base (the ones willing to report what
packages they use, at least), but we don't have any such mechanism.  You
could try asking who's using the package on a mailing list (either
upstream's or a Fedora-centric one), but you're not remotely guaranteed a
statistically significant number of users are subscribed to either.
  It's actually kind of a pity.  Sometimes it'd be nice to know how much
effort really needs to be put into keeping a package alive.

      Jima