Soon to be marked dead packages

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 00:12:16 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 22:03 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 13:12 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Ville Skytt? (ville.skytta at iki.fi) said:
> > > It was still listed as orphaned in Extras/OrphanedPackages in the Wiki
> > > and owners.list in CVS - I've fixed them.
> > >
> > > Everyone, if you claim something from the orphaned list, don't just push
> > > rebuilds.  Make sure you've updated Extras/OrphanedPackages in Wiki
> > > *and* owners.list in CVS.
> >
> > How much work would it be to automate this?
>
> AFAIU, it's (the package database) already being worked on.  Someone
> more familiar with it could perhaps post some estimates here?

The idea is that changes to the packagedb will make changes to the VCS
ACLS.  Owners.list and the wiki OrphanedPackages would both be phased
out.

So if a package were orphaned, the ACLs for the VCS might be changed to
disallow commits.  Someone would have to step up to be the official
maintainership for commits to the branch to be reenabled.  This
functionality is something we want to be inherent to the packageDB but
relies on getting the new VCS in place at the same time.  Currently
we're shooting to have both running in time for FC7t2 but we're still in
the prototype phase.

The other end of this is creating automated lists of orphaned packages
per release like the current, manually driven OrphanedPackages page.
This functionality is separate from assigning owners and co-maintainers
so it may happen after the first round of the packagedb depending on the
amount of time we have for completing it.

-Toshio