Global list of used TCP/UDP ports

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Thu Oct 12 20:03:51 UTC 2006

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Frank Büttner wrote:
> Now we have the problem that 2 services use the same port.
> To fix this and prevent other services to fall in this trap, we need to
> build an list in FC Extra with port's all in use.
> So here the first entry for the list:
> All other maintainer shut add his services to this list.

  There's already a mechanism in place that provides this functionality:
/etc/services .  I have no idea what the process is for getting services
added to this file, though.  (IANA, as suggested by Seth?)

> Port	Protocol	Service
> 8000	TCP		nas

  This seems like a really awful port choice; 8000 is one of the most
commonly-used ports for web servers in cases where port 80 is blocked (by
ISPs, typically).
  My opinion, at least...

      Jima