Global list of used TCP/UDP ports

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Oct 12 21:52:31 UTC 2006

Le jeudi 12 octobre 2006 à 16:02 -0400, seth vidal a écrit :
> On Thu, 2006-10-12 at 21:57 +0200, Frank Büttner wrote:
> > Now we have the problem that 2 services use the same port.
> > To fix this and prevent other services to fall in this trap, we need to
> > build an list in FC Extra with port's all in use.
> > So here the first entry for the list:
> > All other maintainer shut add his services to this list.
> > ________________________________
> > Port	Protocol	Service
> > 8000	TCP		nas
>

> I'm pretty sure the IANA trumps us when it comes to port assignment.

A lot of ports won't go through IANA, and we should document then in the
Fedora /etc/services, if only so :
1. packages do no step on one another's port
2. we can filter them in iptables by name

Once upon a time Fedora tried to keep /etc/services small (which forced
everyone to use local incompatible assignments) but I think the new aim
is to actually document the ports a Fedora user may use (which certainly
includes ports used by FC or FE apps)

--
Nicolas Mailhot