desktop files for dockapp apps?

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Sat Oct 14 16:30:22 UTC 2006

Patrice Dumas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Should there be a .desktop, an icon and so on for dockapp apps? When
> they are used in fluxbox, for example it doesn't make much sense to
> have one, since they have to be launched by editing .fluxbox/startup.
> Is it different on other desktops? (on xfce I don't see anything when
> I launch them...).

.desktop files are useful for three things:

- Applications which need a launcher in the main menu.
- Applications which act as an opener for certain MIME types
- Applications which need to be started explicitly each session

Dockapps are none of the above.  (The closest it gets is the third
option, but it gets started by the dock itself once added to the dock,
not individually).  nm-applet and gnome-power-manager both do the third
item though because they are not true dockapps.

In short, your answer is no.