Co-maintainers to assist upstreams with their packages in Extras

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Oct 17 18:44:34 UTC 2006

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 03:16:51PM -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> Only by agreement, though.  There is no infrastructure in place to
> enforce anything like this.

Agreed. It is just what is commonly done.

> -----
> PD> After some thinking and looking at some packages, I came to the
> PD> conclusion that having upstream as primary maintainer in fedora
> PD> should be avoided if possible.
> -----
>
> I object to this as a general rule.  Not only is there no way to
> enforce this except by agreement, but it is simply not possible to
> reasonably make that generalization and I also find it to take a
> rather dim view of the potentially enormous contributions which could
> be made by upstream developers if we could only get them interested.

Ok, my statement was a bit too much. To state it in a more sensible
manner, the extras community should really make sure that the upstream
maintainers maintaining their package in fedora extras do it in a manner
suitable for fedora and not with upstream objectives.

--
Pat