Co-maintainers to assist upstreams with their packages in Extras

Gianluca Sforna giallu at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 09:09:28 UTC 2006

On 10/17/06, Kevin Fenzi <kevin-fedora-extras at scrye.com> wrote:
> There are a number of people on the list that have submitted a single
> package, and have had no activity adding to other reviews. Some of
> them are upstream for the package they have submitted. From just one
> package and no other activity it's very hard to decide to sponsor
> these people, as they may well be 'fire and forget' type submitters.

Despite of this, I think there is some added value in an upstream
maintaner willing to work also on the packaging side. We should find a
way to make sure we don't waste this value.

So, it seems to me there are 2 kind of upstream maintainers:
1. those willing to be also Fedora packagers (also for their deps or
other stuff)
2. those just interested in getting their package in extras

The former is already covered by the current procedure (submit / find
a sponsor / become contributor)

For the latter, we could maintain a list (along the lines of the
WishList page) where interested upstreams can add their project and
look for a maintainer.
Once a maintaner is found and the package imported, they could be
listed as co-maintaner for the project BUT only if we can put in place
a restriction to where they could commit (e.g: only whre they are
listed as co-maintaners).
This should not be so hard with CVS (cvs_acls) or any other SCM we may
use in the future.

just my 0.02

Gianluca