Clamav packages and compatibility problems

Alberto Chiodi alberto.chiodi at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 13:31:14 UTC 2006

Good morning

I'm an italian end user of Fedora Core 5 and I have problems to update
my sistem with yum about clamav packages.
I have had the same problem 5-6 (?) months ago when I was a user of
Fedora Core 4 and yum tried to upgrade my sistem from 0.88.3 version to
0.88.4 version of clamav packages.
Now it's the time for a new upgrade (from the 0.88.4 to 0.88.5 version
of clamav) and yum reproposed me questions that seems the same, so I 've
decided to solve my doubts and I thinks that now it's a good idea write
to you.
There is a little problem about extras' rpms and a relevant (?) problem
of compatibility between extras' repo and dries' repo, specifically between:
http://ftp.belnet.be/packages/dries.ulyssis.org/fedora/linux/5/i386/dries/RPMS/
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/5/i386/

My sistem:
A notebook with Fedora Core 5 sistem (upgraded from Fc4 with an upgrade
by fc5 .iso dvd and yum).
I actually use kernel-2.6.18-1.2200.fc5.i686 with Gnome desktop.
My actual clamav packages situation:

clamav-0.88.4-1.fc5.rf.i386
clamav-data-0.88.4-1.fc5.i386
clamav-db-0.88.4-1.fc5.rf.i386
clamav-lib-0.88.4-1.fc5.i386
clamav-update-0.88.4-1.fc5.i386
clamd-0.88.4-1.fc5.rf.i386
clamtk-2.24-1.fc.noarch

As we can see it's a mix of  extras' and dries' packages.

First little problem:

When yum tries to update clamav packages produces this answer:

--> Processing Dependency: clamav = 0.88.4-1.fc5.rf for package: clamd
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: clamav = 0.88.4-1.fc5.rf is needed by package
clamd
and yum ends its work.

Clamd is the clamav daemon and it's actually updated only by dries' repo.
But "actually" dries' repo is still stop at 0.88.4 version, so I cannot
update my clamav sistem without its daemon.
So: Please, can you insert in your packages list the clamd daemon too?

Second (big?) problem:

When I was an user of Fc4 (in the same situation) I decided to remove
0.88.3 version of clamd daemon and I upgraded my clamav packages to
0.88.4 version with yum.
At that time my clamav group of packages was only formed of extras' rpms.
I waited for the new version of clamd. (two or three weeks  :-( )
When it arrived (only on dries' repo) I tried to install it with yum.
Yum worked well, but yum required me to change the extras' version of
"clamav" package (the "base" package) with dries' version of the same rpm.
Yum installed me also the "db" package for solving dependence of the new
".rf" clamav rpm.
I thought that it was the same database of extras' "data" package but
for security I decided to use both of them.
 From that time to now (after the upgrade at FC5).....and still now all
seems work well.
Now I'm here in the same situation that I've still reported, a new
version of clamav: the 0.88.5, the same problem about clamd and
specially a new substitution of the "clamav-0.88.4-1.fc5.rf.i386"
package with the new 0.88.5 version.... but extras' version!!!
Ah.... yum wants upgrade only clamav-data packages, not clamav-db
package (a dries' rpm)
So: I don't want to repeat the experience to remove clamd and wait for
it from dries' repo, and also I don't want to wait for a new
substitution of extras' version of clamav (base) package with the same
version of dries' rpm (and relatives upgrade of "db" dries' version of
the database).

I want ask to you:
What difference are there between "data" and "db" clamav packages?
Is there any incompatibility with these two repos, that is: is there a
problem of compatibility between this repos, like that between livna's
repo and fedora's repo?
I don't read anything about this problem on the net.
Can you say me any news about these problems?

Best regards

Alberto Chiodi