Where should go Perl libraries files?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Oct 23 14:57:32 UTC 2006

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 10:56:39AM +0200, Christian Jodar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> During the review of a new package that I submitted [1], there was an issue
> with the Perl libraries used by the package. The problem is that this package
> contains some libraries that are provided as .pm files. So they are not binary
> files and are platform-independant.
>
> The question is now: Where should go these files?

My opinion is the following:

* If these are perl modules, then they should go below /usr/lib/perl5,
  below
%{perl_vendorlib}/

rpm --eval %{perl_vendorlib}
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8

* if it is code internal to the application which happens to be in .pm
  files it should go below %_datadir (for example in
  %_datadir/myapp/Module.pm). It the .pm are in fact configuration
  (for example in those files user definied constants or user defined hooks
  are set) they should go in %_sysconfdir/myapp/ConfModule.pm.

I hope that someday %{perl_vendorlib}/ will be moved to something like
/usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8

--
Pat