Initial Proposal for doing Enterprise Extras

Alexander Boström abo at kth.se
Mon Oct 23 17:41:41 UTC 2006

mån 2006-10-23 klockan 11:01 -0400 skrev Matthew Miller:

> It's pretty impressive, but an enterprise extras can't
> have 100+ packages updating every week.

Just having access to a large repository of packages for RHEL would be
very valuable for me, even if there was no policy of only doing security
updates. The alternative right now is for me to backport packages from
Fedora Extras myself, which is a lot of work. It would be more useful if
would spend that time helping out with maintaining the packages I care
about in a central repo and then perhaps cherry-pick the updates I need
into a local repository, if the specific application requires it.

In a way, the people behind centos.karan.org and RPMforge does this at
the moment (thank you!), but they don't have as large a library as FE,
so if users of RHEL and compatible distributions can do FE backports on
a larger scale, it would be even better.

/abo