RFC: Junk in Fedora Extras

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon Oct 23 21:12:54 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 22:42 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 22:55:57 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2006-10-21 at 23:32 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> >
> > > This is the full list of binary rpms, which do not have a corresponding
> > > src.rpm in the repository:
> > >
> > > Expiring (keep = 1): /extras/development/SRPMS
> > >   Skipping em8300-kmod
> > >   Skipping sysprof-kmod
> >
> > Just wondering, why are kmod packages skipped?
>
> Because that is what repomanage did, too:
>
> http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/extras-buildsys/utils/extras-repobuild.py?hideattic=0&r1=1.17&r2=1.18&root=fedora

Yep, but that served a different purpose.

> As I understand it, we want to keep kmod packages for old kernel
> releases.

Right.

>  If an updated kmod src.rpm is rebuilt for all kernel releases,
> however, we can expire old src.rpms. Otherwise not.

Note that we don't just rebuild any src.rpms without touching anything,
all kmod package builds result in new corresponding src.rpms being
shipped, just like all other packages.

So we want to exclude kmod packages (source and binary) from the "keep
only N versions of a package around" pruning, but if there are stray
kmod binaries for which there's no corresponding srpm, I think they
should get the same treatment as everything else.