Policy RFC: When to touch other peoples packages (or: Fix stuff that needs fixing)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Oct 25 02:05:49 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 19:36 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Patrice Dumas schrieb:
> > On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 07:15:25PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> >> As experienced packagers count:
> >>  * FESCo members
> >
> > I don't want to be negative here, nor show disrepect to FESCo members,
> > but I don't think being FESCo members should qualify here. A FESCo member
> > could be there to represent something and not because he has great
> > technical ability to fix packages.
>
> Well, I think all FESCo members normally should have a "technical
> ability to fix packages". Maybe one time there will be someone in FESCo
> that might not have it, but a FESCo member should be able to know about
> that and leave such work to others. And otherwise yell on the
> mailinglists ;) Errors get made by everyone and can be fixed.
>
> > As a side note aren't the current
> > FESCo members all sponsor?
>
> All FESCo members are sponsors these days.

I would really appreciate it, if people would learn to distinguish their
different roles in Fedora, in particular to keep technical issues
separate from political and marketing affairs.

FESCo is a political organ, not a technical one, nor are FESCO members
necessarily active packagers nor specially technically qualified people.

So, though it might be true that current FESCO members for some reasons
are sponsors, this relation IMO should be consider "random coincidence".

The same applies to other Fedora organs, such as ambassadors or FPB's.

Ralf