Fedora Extras packaging beta software into production repos, why?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Oct 25 07:56:09 UTC 2006

Hi,

ATrpms is packaging asterisk and friends for quite some time
now. ATrpms' buildsystem has also enabled Fedora Extras during the
build procedure to ensure better interoperability, e.g. use BR's out
of Fedora Extras.

For some reason Fedora Extras now had to package a beta version of the
asterisk suite instead of the current release. I'm used to packagers
at FE ignoring existing packages at other repos which is a bad thing
per se, but why

- packaging a beta software that is known to have troubles,
- creates broken builds for other non-suspecting repos and
- gets right into production repos like FC5?

Note that for some packages it really makes sense to use
beta/prereleases, VCS cuts and the like, but there is no reason to do
so in this case.

As a consequence I will not only need to rebuild all of the asterisk
suite again to pick up the proper dependencies, but also to stop using
Fedora Extras as a repo for build requirements and start using Epoch
on clean packages.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net