Fedora Extras packaging beta software into production repos, why?

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Wed Oct 25 11:55:05 UTC 2006

Axel Thimm wrote :

> Just to make my point clear: I'm ranting for FE breaking ATrpms, of
> course, but even for active ATrpms-agnostics there should be one very
> important issue: Why package beta software, when you don't have to,
> and why shove it right into productive repos? This just lowers the
> quality of the repo as a total. I for one am extremely conservative
> with my own packaging in FE, and I think most people here do so the
> same to keep the QA standards high.

Then ask the right question to the right person : Ask the zaptel,
libpri and asterisk packages owner why he made such a decision. Note
that in your first email you write :

"Note that for some packages it really makes sense to use
beta/prereleases, VCS cuts and the like, but there is no reason to do
so in this case."

I agree that it makes sense in some cases, but I have no idea if it
does in this particular one, nor why it would or wouldn't. I couldn't
find any info in the reviews after a quick glance, so I can only once
again suggest you ask the person who made the choice.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 5.92 (FC6 Test3) - Linux kernel 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
Load : 0.06 0.04 0.05