testing repo (was: Re: Fedora Extras packaging beta software into production repos, why?)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Oct 25 13:31:15 UTC 2006

Rex Dieter schrieb:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
>> Perhaps FE needs a testing section (many other repos have such
>> stability sections, e.g. "updates" has, kde-redhat has, ATrpms has,
>> freshrpms has and fedora.us also had).
> uh huh. +1

:) That topic came up in a FESCo-discussion some days ago. The consensus
was to have one afaics (I'm all for it as some of you know from past
discussions). But there is yet nobody that's working on it (and some
people in past discussions didn't like the "testing" repo idea to much
iirc). Any volunteers?

Side note: The question is also: Should we really start on this now? Or
should we try to get the other major things mostly done first
(co-maintainership, new VCS, EPEL, ...) fist, before we work on yet
another big problematic topic? Having to many things on the plate might
not be the best.

Further: There is also the "Core and Extras merge" on the horizon that
everyone (including me here) mentions. But that's just a rough idea
until now and there are no real plans yet (at least none that I've heard
 of). But that "merge" has certain implications for Extras: Will we
stick to the rolling releases? Or something similar to Core now with a
updates and a updates-testing repo? Or a mixture?

In other words: Is it worth working on a Extras testing repo now before
those things are sorted out? To answer my own question: I don't think it
is. But we probably should do it together with the merge (or at least
calculate it in)

CU
thl