FCXStatus wiki pages

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Thu Oct 26 21:38:23 UTC 2006

> /Extras/FC3Status, /Extras/FC4Status, ... /Extras/FC6Status

What had started as a Wiki page for requesting builds of packages for
FC-3, when Seth Vidal was our human build-system, has served a different
purpose for a long time.

We've extended the original page with a pointer on how to use the
automatic build-system, we've used the pages for tracking some things
around Fedora Extras (like packages dropped from Core), we've created a
new page for every version of FC, and we've used the pages as a way for
package maintainers to submit special requests to RPM package repository
admins.

Now it's time to stop this.

Too many [confusing] pages.
Too many places where to track some things. At the same time:
Too many places where some things are not tracked properly.
Too many things we don't really want to track, do we? ;)

We've practised and evaluated this long enough now.

The single place where to submit _special_ requests to the repository
admins is this:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/RepoRequests

[...]

If we could use OTRS instead, somebody in charge of that system please get
back to me.

[...]

It should be the rare exception that you want something to be removed from
the repository or that you want huge data packages duplicated to multiple
repositories.

What about obsolete sub-packages in the repository?

As an addition to the previous process, the new RepoPrune code in
production also gets rid of obsolete sub-packages in FE Development
automatically (!) when your next update is published. We keep only a
single release per package. For the stable branches of Fedora Extras, we
keep at most two releases per package. It is recommended that you request
removal of obsolete sub-packages, especially if they are broken.