Fedora Extras packaging beta software into production repos, why?

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Mon Oct 30 01:15:56 UTC 2006

Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 05:22:43PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > Josh Boyer schrieb:
> > > As for the third party repo aspect of this, that is quite difficult.
> > > There are potentially tons of third party repos, which already conflict
> > > with each other.  We cannot show preference for one or the other.  That
> > > does not mean that a third party repository maintainer cannot open a
> > > bug.  It just means that we cannot expect Extras maintainers to go
> > > looking for problems in each and every third party repo before updating
> > > something.
> >
> > +1

> I think this is a dangerous attitude. W/o going into ugly details I
> believe the reason that Fedora has such a cluttered 3rd party
> repository support in comparison to all other distros

Which ones? Fedora is /large/ (larger than most), so problems show up more
clearly. Some "others" have the policy of "everything is official", so (by
definition) there can't be a problem with external stuff.

>                                                       is just because
> of that historic strategic and tactical errors (IMO) that were at the
> beginning of the project alienating most 3rd party repositories.

I'm not so sure they were errors... it is quite reasonable to ask (and
gently nudge/force) for third parties to roll their stuff into the official
repos.

[...]

> I deliberately left off details to not micro-discuss again about repo
> foorpms and package bar and baz, I'm just targetting the big picture.

Those you should BZ.