Fedora Extras packaging beta software into production repos, why?

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Oct 30 23:36:10 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 00:30 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 18:02:53 -0500, Christopher Aillon wrote:
>
> > Michael Schwendt wrote:

> > > A couple of valid questions have been raised. And an upgrade to a beta
> > > release with an approval in less than 24 hours is something that is
> > > broken.

I think there are obviously valid and invalid reasons to have "beta" or
"prerelease" versions of software in Fedora. Perhaps any packager
wishing to go to a "beta" or "prerelease" should have to present their
rationalization to the Fedora Packaging Committee/FESCO for approval?

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway || Red Hat || Fedora || Aurora || GPG ID: 93054260

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We must remember always
that accusation is not proof and that conviction depends upon evidence
and due process of law. We will not walk in fear, one of another. We
will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in
our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended
from fearful men -- not from men who feared to write, to speak, to
associate and to defend causes that were, for the moment, unpopular."
-- Edward R. Murrow, March 9, 1954