Fedora Extras packaging beta software into production repos, why?

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Tue Oct 31 16:00:42 UTC 2006

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 10:29:57 -0500, Christopher Aillon wrote:

> > Christopher Aillon pointed out some _general_ examples for why it may be
> > necessary to package a beta release (e.g. because back-porting security
> > fixes is not feasible or too time-consuming, or because a new major
> > version replaces one or several build requirements which have legal
> > issues).
> >
> > He did not explain why these packages, which _did not_ exist as older
> > releases in Fedora Extras, were approved and built for the stable trees in
> > less than a day.
> >
> Because you are arguing about beta software.  You seem to have no
> problem with non-beta software getting approved and built in a day.

What makes you think so? I do dislike rushed reviews in general as often
they are error-prone. That does not mean that I need to mix all that in
this discussion.

> So
> once it's approved and built, it is the package owner's discretion to
> build a different version of a package, which may include so-called beta
> software.

Yes, which is questionable and asks for adjusted guidelines.

> Argue about all software; don't single out beta software.

But we need to start somewhere... unless we want to see many more
pre-release snapshots in Fedora Extras.