Transaction Check Error

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Sat Sep 9 00:54:19 UTC 2006

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 15:31:23 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> CS> Do we currently have any way to check for these?
>
> I think someone has a script.  Or maybe it involves just installing
> every package.

Potential file conflicts can be caught quite easily by checking repository
metadata. Unfortunately, file checksums are not available in there, so
downloading RPM headers for every needed package would be required. A
solution which asks for some sort of smart back-end.

> CS> And how do we resolve which package gets to own this file?
>
> Well, packages are allowed to conflict in Extras,

Where is the official policy for that?

It is my understanding that in the past we've never liked any sort of
conflicts. Fedora.us started with a rule of "no conflicts with Core and no
upgrades of Core from within Extras", and AFAIR, FESCo has never agreed on
permitting packages to conflict explicitly with eachother except for rare
corner-cases (like temporary lazy packaging of incompatible foo-devel and
foo2-devel).