We are evaluating building packages from Fedora Extras for RHEL

nodata fedora at nodata.co.uk
Sun Sep 10 20:02:24 UTC 2006

Am Sonntag, den 10.09.2006, 14:26 -0500 schrieb Mike McGrath:
> On 9/10/06, nodata <fedora at nodata.co.uk> wrote:
> > Wow. That's quite a sweeping change.
> >
> > We've gone from a group of pro-Fedora users providing free additional
> > software to other free users of Fedora, to providing Extras packages to
> > paying customers.
> >

> There are many people that use enterprise environments like CentOS
> that don't pay a dime.  Its important to note that not everyone will
> be wanting to create branches.
>
> I would argue that those that aren't using these products, something
> RHELish, probably shouldn't branch their packages due to support
> issues.  Though co-maintainership could help negate issues that would
> come up here.  It's been my experience that sysadmins that use 3rd
> party repo's like Karan's extras rebuilds either A) know what they're
> committing themselves to or B) aren't in an environment that it would
> matter.
>
> What these more enterprise repo's might turn into is anyones guess but
> in the meantime there's a demand for them.  I don't mean to discourage
> anyone from participating but I'd like to emphasize that it is a
> community volunteer project.  I have no issues submitting my packages
> for use by those people that use RHEL or CentOS as I am one of those
> people, I use both.
>
>           -Mike

Your answers sidestep my point completely.

"Extras for RHEL" will provide value to Red Hat Enterprise Linux
customers. It's doesn't matter if the CentOS users install the Extras
packages too, that's a side issue to my point.

If Fedora Extras contributors are providing this extra value to RHEL,
what is in it for them? Simple question.