We are evaluating building packages from Fedora Extras for RHEL

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Sun Sep 10 21:51:19 UTC 2006

nodata wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 10.09.2006, 16:06 -0500 schrieb Josh Boyer:
> [snip]
>> So what's in it for Extras contributors that want to package stuff for
>> Enterprise Extras?  Exactly what they get for packaging stuff for
>> Extras.
>
> With one big difference - Fedora Core is free, and RHEL is not.

Um, no.  *You can't take free software and make it not free*

The difference is Fedora has community driven support, and RHEL has
contract driven support.  Red Hat offers support contracts to guarantee
certain levels of support for certain amounts of time.  For example, Red
Hat still offers support for RHEL 2.1.  I just spent a lot of time
working on solving issues for this platform, even though I personally
don't use it.  See if you'll find me caring to support FC1 or FC2 at
this point, though, both of which are newer than RHEL 2.1.  You won't
and I'm not obligated to do so for any of my packages.  That's the value
that Red Hat provides: support.  Please don't mistake charging for
support with charging for software.  This is why distros such as CentOS
can exist.  The software is free; they are simply redistributing it
without the support contracts that Red Hat offers.

</soapbox>