Would like to import CORE into Fedora (naming problem)

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Sep 14 13:18:41 UTC 2006

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 10:53:57 +0200
Laurent Rineau <laurent.rineau__fedora_extras at normalesup.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 14 September 2006 06:02, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > Does CORE also exist as a standalone tarball?
>
> Yes: http://cs.nyu.edu/exact/core/download/core_v1.7/core_v1.7.tgz
>
> > I'd then recommend to build/package CORE from this sources and
> > not to package CORE from CGAL's sources, or at least to package
> > CORE into separate packages, and not as integral part of CGAL.
>
> That's why I plan to do, if the path /usr/include/CORE/ is
> eventually accepted into FE.

Hi Laurent,

It seems that only two packagers (Ralf Corsepius and Michael
Schwendt) have registered objections to the /usr/include/CORE
location.  And they both point out that its a matter of good taste,
not a hard-and-fast rule that drives their reasoning [0].

If you can make the package work [1] with /usr/include/CGAL/CORE then
I think that satisfies everyone.  If not, you can go with the
majority opinion and use /usr/include/CORE [2].

Ed

[0] I think Ralf and Michael generally have very good taste in
    packaging decisions -- but who am I to judge?  :-)

[1] In addition to Ralf's comment you can also get includes
    by setting things like:

      export CPPFLAGS=-I%{_includedir}/CGAL/CORE

    or by editing the Makefile-s.

[2] It can be difficult to try and make everyone happy
    all the time.  ;-)

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD  |  ed at eh3.com  |  http://eh3.com/