txukart -> supertuxkart, new package?

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Wed Sep 20 12:40:33 UTC 2006

Hans de Goede wrote :

> My main concern is 1) which makes one wish we had package aliases :)
> I could partially fix 1 by providing supertuxkart, so that yum install
> supertuxkart will work. But that won't fix yum list.

You can simply "Provides: supertuxkart = %{version}-%{release}".

> The alternative is to submit a new supertuxkart package which obsoletes
> tuxkart, question will this cause automatic upgrades of tuxkart to
> supertuxkart?

This would definitely be best. Don't forget to obsolete the last known
version of tuxkart which seems to be 0.4.0-5.fc6 with :

Obsoletes: tuxkart < 0.4.0-6

(release is higher, that way you "catch" any dist tag)

Now the real question is : Do you need to go through the new package
submission process? I'm afraid the easiest would be to do so...

Don't forget to "retire" tuxkart properly (dead.package file etc.).

Matthias

Fedora Core release 5.92 (FC6 Test3) - Linux kernel 2.6.17-1.2647.fc6
Load : 0.59 0.37 0.25