Summary - Broken dependencies in Fedora Extras - 2006-09-26

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Thu Sep 28 11:54:32 UTC 2006

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 01:30:46PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> I guess you know that lesstif MUST NOT depend on libGLw, because you'd
> otherwise introduce a circular dependency, because libGLw depends on
> Motif.

I know. But this is only a devel dependency for a check. So the real
dependency is libGLw-devel depending on lesstif-devel, but for the
check, libGLw-devel also has to be buildrequired by lesstif (for
other reasons, currently the lesstif tests are not run, so the dependency
is really useless today, but let's do as if the tests were run).

There is a chicken and egg issue, but it was solved by the fact that
libGLw-devel compiled against openmotif was available when lesstif was
submitted.

Rex insisted on having this BuildRequires, I am not convinced that it
is right. Indeed it implies that when rebuilding libGLw one have to
rebuild lesstif to check that the check is still right, and when rebuilding
lesstif one has to rebuild libGLw as a classical dependency, and then
rebuild lesstif one more time to verify that the check still pass.
And also when libGLw-devel is broken because of lesstif, lesstif cannot
be rebuilt and the chicken and egg situation reappears.

Doing things cleanly would imply moving the check from lesstif to libGLw.

--
Pat