python: mixing sitearch and sitelib (was: python noarch vs arch)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Sep 2 16:34:20 UTC 2006

On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 12:25:58PM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> Here it is impossible to tell if the .c file is part of the python
> module or not.

You need to decide on your use of the word module. You use it
interchangably for a patchon package and a single-file module.

If you mean a "module" as in package, then you agree that the
statement was wrong, or not?

If you mean a "module" as in a single file, then it doesn't make sense
to discuss about python and C code in one file embedded together.

So the original statement used "module" while you meant the totality
of all modules and was wrong to advice to pull everything under
sitearch. If the statement was meaning a proper single file python
module it would be technically correct, but it would make no sense, as
there is no python/C mixing in the same file.

> However you still assumed that my text, which takes about a python
> module and nothing more, meant something I did not say.  But while we
> bicker about this, it accomplishes nothing, just makes both our days a
> little less joyful.

Putting some misconceptions straight is important as they stay in the
archives, get implemented in packages, copied over in other packages
and become a defacto "truth". This is not bickering, and my days are
miserable anyway ;)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net