Closing bugs

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Fri Sep 8 22:38:52 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 00:22 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 11:59:59PM +0200, Nils Philippsen wrote:

> > > No, here are the definitions which more or less relate "RELEASE" to
> > > the distribution and not the package's upstream version. That's also
> > > how it's used in RHEL - we should keep the same semantics behind these
> > > keywords.
> > >
> > > CURRENTRELEASE
> > >     The problem described has already been fixed and can be obtained
> > >     in the latest version of our product. Information on the package
> > >     version in which it was fixed should be included in the summary
> > >     when a bug is closed to this resolution.
> > >
> > > NEXTRELEASE
> > >     The problem described has been fixed in the next release of the
> > >     product, and is not planned to be fixed in the release against
> > >     which the bug was filed. Include information on the release in
> > >     which this was fixed in the summary when a bug is closed to this
> > >     resolution.
> > >
> > > So if you fix an FC5/FC4 bug you should use CURRENTRELEASE.
> >
> > Nope, rather use ERRATA if you fix it for the FC version in question,
>
> Well, thera are no ERRATA for fedora-extras (in fact there are 155
> bugs closed as such).

I wouldn't have a problem with that resolution renamed to (or augmented
by) "UPDATE".

> I looked a bit at bugs in "Fedora Core" actually closed CURRENTRELEASE
> vs ERRATA. There seems to be quite a bit of self-iterpretation going
> on. CURRENTRELEASE is actually used even for what RAWHIDE should be.

> > RAWHIDE if only for fixing it in development (and not planning to do it
> > for the FC version reported against)
>
> There doesn't seem to be quite a big difference between RAWHIDE and
> NEXTRELEASE other than RAWHIDE not allowed for RHEL.

Agreed, though NEXTRELEASE can always mean that something has been done
in a final product which isn't the latest, just not in that old version
you use (which RAWHIDE clearly doesn't mean). Doesn't make much sense in
the Fedora Realm, where NEXTRELEASE would always be covered by
CURRENTRELEASE, but with RHEL you can have a bug against 2.1 which is
already solved in 3 which is not the current product version.

> > instead as CURRENTRELEASE is only for stuff already fixed at the
> > time of reporting the bug ("already" being the keyword in the
> > description above ;-).
>
> So CURRENTRELEASE means "already fixed, you are not using the latest
> updates"? Doesn't seem that useful. Maybe the resolutions needs to be
> relabeled with more appropriate naming. In this case ALREADYFIXED
> would be better than CURRENTRELEASE.

The resolution names seem as they're organically grown, possibly on
account of being just that ;-).

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759